10 things you should know about ZsONAMACO
- Ranked up there with Art Basel (Basel, Miami, Hong Kong), The Armory Show (New York), Frieze Art Fair (London) and ARCO (Madrid), Mexico City’s first and Latin America´s largest contemporary art fair is the child of Mexican entrepreneur and cultural promotor Zélika García.
2. In 2002, inspired by Gabriela López Rocha —founder of Expo Arte Guadalajara, Zélika García got the idea of creating her own fair, Muestra, in Monterrey, N.L. and was attended by 3,000 people.
3. Since the first edition of the art fair, both the name and format have changed, as has the content. What we knew as MACO in 2003 is now ZsONAMACO, a bigger, better and more diversified version of its former self.
4. In 2004, the fair incorporated the emerging art section New Projects, which represents an emerging generation and, at the same time, stimulates the institutional behaviour of the galleries to create work opportunities for young artists. 2018´s edition New Projects Curator: Humberto Moro (Guadalajara, 1982)
5. South Zone celebrates 10 years of inviting international curators, who select artists to propose individual projects under the representation of and gallery in this years edition, the section is curated by Kiki Mazzucchelli, with the proposal “The Logic of Materials”, with artworks in which the articulation of different materials plays an essential role in the construction of meanings.
6. In 2011, a design section was included and for this years edition of the fair it will Cecilia León de la Barra (Mexico City, 1975) and in 2013, a modern art section, this years selection comitee is conformed by Alejandra Yturbe (GAM, Mexico City), Mariana Pérez Amor (GAM, Mexico City) and Enrique Guerrero (Galería Enrique Guerrero, Mexico City)..
7. ZsONAMACO offers a program of conferences with international guests, a section with specialized publications and editorials, and the widest program of parallel activities with exhibitions at the most outstanding galleries and museums in the country. You should not miss this!
8. According to Zélika García, “Photography and antiquarianism have a natural association with modern and contemporary art”, which is why the fair broadened its scope and in 2014, the Antiquarian’s Hall made its first appearance with Mexican and international artifacts and in 2015, ZsONAMACO Photo.
9. In order to encourage new collectors, ZsONAMACO marks all works priced below 4,000 usd with a colored sticker.
10. The 15th edition of ZsONAMACO México Arte Contemporáneo and the 8th edition of ZsONAMACO México Arte Contemporáneo and ZsONAMACO will be held from February 7th to the 11th, at Centro Citibanamex in Mexico City and will gather 170 multinational exhibitors and over 60,000 visitors.
February 7-11, 2018
Wed 7 February, 2018 (OPENING)
Thu 8-Sat 10 February, 2018
Sun 11 February, 2018
Centro Citibanamex, Hall D
AV. Conscripto 311
Lomas de Sotelo